Wednesday 3 January 2024

Day 4: Why blog about getting sober

Through yesterday afternoon and into the evening I was knackered. Just absolutely knackered. In bed by 9pm. But I didn't fancy a drink all day. Progress? Probably just early days, it's still exciting and all that jazz. And Dry January is in the air. A subtle undertone to the month making abstaining easier. I suspect the real challenge will start in February. 

To the point of this post - why start a blog? Accountability maybe? Writing can make stuff feel more real? Hoping to connect with others going through the same thing?  All of the above?

I've had a sneaky feeling for a few years that I've been drinking too much. Googling "am I drinking too much?" and only really figuring out that I don't drink first thing in the mornings or black out {see, you're fine - the cheeky monkey}. Being embarrassed by the recycling bin. Worrying there wasn't enough beer in the house. Feeling guilty about having a few drinks...again! Having a few more drinks at home after being out (why, why need more?). And more things. 

Then at the start of December I stopped for 15 days and it was great. The bloat had started to go, better sleep, more energy, less snappy with the kids, no 3am sweaty wake ups etc. 

And then I had a drink to celebrate finishing work for the holidays {you'd earned it - the beer monkey}. Just one turned into....5. Repeat until the end of the year. Bleugh. 

So yeah, my relationship with alcohol needs assessing, and probably just deleting it from my life is the answer {no no, you can moderate, just try that first. You'll be fine - the beer monkey}. 

So why blog?  Roll back about a decade and I wanted to sort my finances out. An over draft and credit card sort of thing. Figure out what retirement meant for the future. I'd had a few attempts at sorting it and quickly fell back into old habits. Then I decided to write about it. 4 years later I'd sorted it out and met loads of friendly helpful folk and done loads of writing that ended up being really useful. I found writing useful to help reset old habits and for looking back on when things got rough. 

So let's do it again. Perhaps this time with more at stake. 

Jomnm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 10: Ubiquitous

It really is every. Booze. All around us.  Check the screenshot out below. I was looking around for sober diaries, as I am binging all of th...