Sunday 7 January 2024

Day 8: Rose tinted reflections

The mind does an incredible job of rearranging history. It really does. 

After a half hearted attempt at stopping drinking at the start of December I hit the Christmas holiday season with gusto, guzzling too many drinks down. Come the end of December I felt pretty wiped out, bloated and.... disappointed. 

And here we are, Day 8 of no drinking. And already my mind is making steps to trying to convince itself that I could have a drink {8 days, that's fantastic! See, you went 8 days without a drink and, you said it yourself, it's been ok. There's nothing sinister here, you just need a small reset and then you can have a couple of lovely drinks in moderation - the beer monkey}.

And it is tempting, romantic even, to think that after a few days off I've somehow proven something to myself.  I can nearly picture myself drinking something sexy at sundown, sipping it, looking suave. Just the one. But one would turn into one more. And then just one more. Etc. Then terrible sleep and hangover. And then the beer monkey would be back at the helm {hooray}. 

So it's time to cast my mind back for a few reasons why I decided to stop drinking in the first place 

After going out / having friends over I would nearly always have a 'couple more' after they left or when we got back home. 

Beer whilst doing kids bath time. 

Decide in the morning to have a non drinking day. Come the evening I'd have a few almost by auto pilot without control. 

Consistently drinking over the safe limit {come on, it's set excessively low by the government to be on the safe side - the beer monkey}. 

Considering buying cans instead of bottles to fill up the other recycling bin (or vice versa). 

Rotating corner shops to buy booze. 

Nailing half the first can of beer in the kitchen 10 seconds after opening it. 

It is kind of easy to dismiss these thoughts at the moment, as I'm partway through dry January and told quite a few people about that.  But it is something to be very aware of come the end of the month. I expect these kind of thoughts to be screaming from the front of my mind, give in, cave in, reward yourself! Mmmmmmm a beer. I'm not going to though, oh no, not me, this writing process is helping me stay on top of things. 

Oh, and ANOTHER hang over free morning.

Jomnm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 10: Ubiquitous

It really is every. Booze. All around us.  Check the screenshot out below. I was looking around for sober diaries, as I am binging all of th...